Youth Summer School of Slovene Language 2021
5. – 16. 7. 2021
The Centre for Slovene as a Second and Foreign Language at the Faculty of Arts of the University of Ljubljana is this year organising the fifteenth Slovene Language Summer School for teenagers aged between 13 and 17. The course begins on Monday 5. 7. 2021 and ends on Friday 16. 7. 2021. The arrival of participants of the Youth Summer School is foreseen for Sunday 4. 7. 2021, when we will meet with parents and those accompanying the participants at an informative meeting that will take place at 19.00.
Lessons will take place every day between 9.00 and 12.30 at the Srednja vzgojiteljska šola in gimnazija school at Kardeljeva ploščad 28a in Ljubljana. There will be four lessons (45 minutes each) per day, i.e. 20 per week. Before starting the course we will send a placement test. Based on the results of the test, participants will be divided into different groups depending on their prior knowledge of Slovene. Each group will consist of between 8 and 12 participants. In the course of the lessons they will develop all four aspects of language: speaking, writing, reading and listening. They will be taught by experienced language teachers from the University of Ljubljana.
At the end of the Summer School, participants will receive a certificate stating that they have participated in the Slovene language course at the Faculty of Arts of the University of Ljubljana.
In the afternoons and evenings there will be an accompanying program aimed at getting to know Slovenian culture, history and contemporary reality. There will also be plenty of sports and recreational activities. There is no additional charge for the accompanying program. Details of the program will be published on the website of the Youth Summer School.
Participants will be accommodated at the Dijaški dom Bežigrad halls of residence – very close to the school. The price includes accommodation in three-bed rooms and meals in the halls of residence: breakfast, lunch and supper. Bed linen and towels will be provided free of charge. An additional charge is payable for the washing of laundry and the use of telephones and internet.
Assistants of the Summer School will care for participants during the afternoons and evenings.
Price of the course and accommodation
Tuition fee: 600 EUR *
Cost of accommodation in a three-bed room: EUR 250**
The course must be paid for in its entirety by 2. 7. 2021 at the latest. We will send you an invoice by email after receiving your application form. Upon receipt of confirmation of payment we will send you a welcome letter and information about the participant’s arrival at the Summer School.
* The tuition fee includes the language course, books and other learning material as well as the accompanying program.
** Payment of accommodation is to be made directly to the halls of residence and not to any of the bank accounts of the Faculty of Arts.
In the event that a participant is unable to attend the Summer School, they must give written notice seven days before the beginning at the latest and we will reimburse 80 % of the paid tuition fee within 30 days after receiving the notice. The remaining amount (20 %) is kept to cover the costs of administration and the bank transactions.
Application and payment
The Ministry of Education, Science and Sport and the Government Office for Slovenians Abroad give scholarships for Slovenians from neighbouring countries and for the children of Slovenian emigrants from further afield. Demands for grants must include personal details about the candidate and reasons to support the demand. We will only consider demands written by candidates themselves. Demands for scholarships must be sent by 15 March 2021 by post (to the address of the Centre for Slovene as a Second and Foreign Language ) or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org). Results will be given in the beginning of June 2021.
The following will be taken into account:
- Slovenians in neighbouring countries and children of Slovenian emigrants (proven Slovenian origin)
- age between 13 and 17 (date of birth between 2004 and 2008)
- the number of grants received by applicants in the past
- participation in Slovenian organisations/institutions
Candidates who have never been awarded a scholarship have priority. We make an exception for those candidates who have proved to be excellent students in past years.